If you are confused about the different types hurricane protection products, let us try to help you determine which might work best for you. Remember, you can mix and match solutions based upon the opening you are trying to protect.
What All Our Hurricane Protection Products Have in Common
All of our products have been tested and certified for use in 150 mph winds and able to withstand large and small missile impact. One product (mesh fabric roll down) carries the above rating but chose not to be certified for use in the the High Velocity Hurricane Zone (HVHZ).
Different Kinds of Hurricane Protection Products
The following lists the relative cost and attributes of each type of opening protection (#1 least expensive – #11 most expensive):
- Steel Panels: least expensive, heavy, hard to handle (you should ware gloves to protect your hands from cuts), rusts, stored in garage, installed from outside, blocks exits, installed with wing nuts and tracks
- Aluminum Panels: lighter than steel, easier to handle, stored in garage, installed from outside, blocks exits, generally used on rectangular or arched windows and large doors, installed with wing nuts and tracks
- Clear Lexan Panels: see through, easier to handle, stored in garage, installed from outside, blocks exits, generally used on rectangular or arched windows, installed with wing nuts and tracks.
- Mesh or Clear Vinyl Manual Hurricane Fabric: can be rolled up and temporarily stored next to opening during the season and moved to garage when not needed, light weight, when rolled up the integrated cover is color matched to your walls or trim, see through, installed from outside, can be used for some exits, generally used on first floor windows and doors or outer edges of patios and balconies, installed with wing nuts or sidewalk bolts. These fabrics can be placed 1-inch from glass when outside of HVHZ (Miami-Dade and Broward). When used in the HVHZ areas, a 30 inch distance is required between the glass and the fabric.
- Mesh Fabric Roll Down: permanently mounted above opening, requires side tracks, see through, requires crank or electric motor, used on outer edges of patios and balconies, This can not be used in the HVHZ area (Miami-Dade and Broward counties).
- Accordion Shutters: very convenient, permanently mounted next to opening, quickly closed and opened, provides emergency exits, can be closed from the inside, can be used on all floors, patios and balconies
- Bahamas: permanently mounted next to opening, requires tools to close, blocks exits, can only be closed from outside
- Aluminum Roll Down: permanently mounted above opening, small opening can be hand raised and lowered or crank assisted, large openings require an electric motor and can be remotely push button controlled.
- Colonials: permanently mounted next to opening, requires tools to close, blocks exits, can only be closed from outside
- CrimSafe Stainless Steel Screens: permanently mounted on opening, does not block exits, can only be opened from inside, see through, looks like a screen door or window
- Impact Resistant Glass: permanently mounted over opening, see through, glass may break when hit but it will stay in the frame. In addition to hurricane protection, it also reduces external sound, ultra violet rays and heat transmission.